Il Giardino Torrigiani is located in Florence between Via de ‘Serragli, Via del Campuccio and the stretch of wall that runs along the Viale Francesco Petrarca. Since Florence does not offer much green spaces, for a one day walkabout this garden could be a wonderful place to try. The history of this garden is not only important from an architectural point of view, but also from a botanist, evidenced by the presence of old and new greenhouses, lemon, tepidariums, in addition to a large number of plants.
In 1839 he was drafted by A. Pucci an inventory of the species in which it appeared that there were 5,500 pot plants (pineapple, camellias, rhododendrons, citrus fruits, etc..) And over 13,000 plants on earth, including fruit trees, magnolias, pines and cypresses.
In ancient times came close to Via dei Serragli, the current entrance on Via del Campuccio , at number 53. It is the largest privately owned garden in Europe situated within city boundaries.
This means you need to schedule a visit for a full visit of the park, please check the resources and contacts at the bottom of the page. The visitor is lead on a sentimental journey through the dark ’sacred‘ wood surrounding the crypt, symbol of the transience of earthly life, to the open spaces around the temple of Arcadia, symbol of pastoral life. On through hills and dales, out onto open grass, it is easy to imagine surprising a deer as often happened in the past. On the way is the charming gymnasium, the aviary and the delightful romantic bridge over the bed of the Ladon river.
At the entrance to the garden is a statue of Osiris holding the tablet of rules of behavior for visitors to the garden. There is a baroque piece by Baratta representing Actaeon who flees after seeing Diana’s face, the group in ‘greek chisel’ marble depicting a bull killed by a lion, the statues of Janus and Aesculapius, the Pio Fedi’ statue of Seneca with the young Pietro Torrigiani, and the marble column dedicated to the great botanist and mycologist, Pier Antonio Micheli who worked so diligently in this garden and who with other passionate naturalists founded the Italian Botanical Society in 1716.
Today the Torrigiani family is still equally committed to preserve and the marble column dedicated to the great botanist and mycologist, Pier Antonio Micheli who worked so diligently in this garden and who with other passionate naturalists founded the Italian Botanical Society in 1716.
One can walk in the shade of ancient cedars (Cedrus Libani, Atlantica and Deodora,) along the winding paths throughout the garden are many oaks, horse chestnut, cypress, magnolia, plane trees…. and a great and rare Fagus Tricolor.
The Torrigiani Malaspina and the Torrigiani Santa Cristina families are today committed to preserving and maintaining this rich historical park of immense importance which is the Torrigiani Garden.
For more information on how to schedule a visit check the site of Giardino Torrigiani here http://www.giardinotorrigiani.it/
Via dei Serragli 144 – 50124 Florence (Italy)
phone tel: +39 055/224527
phone fax: +39 055/229662