Studying abroad and in an Italian Public University may bring to arise many questions. Being a very special experience might bring you to look up a number of doubts running through your mind. Well to be as brief and clear as possible to the most important and essential ones here are a few answers to your doubts!

Studying in Italy

Which documents are needed for an enrollment?

Previous documentation of your study background and experience, the receipt of the payment of the tuition fees, if you are a non-EU citizen you need to show the original residential permit, the application form, 2 fotos and  your Codice fiscale.

How do I obtain a codice fiscale?

The codice fiscale is a unique identification code needed for university enrollment and for many other administrative purposes. It is issued by the Agenzia delle Entrate of the Italian Ministery of Economy. The only document required for applying is a valid identity card/passport or a residence permit. The code can also be issued by the Italian Embassy or Consulate in your home country.

Can I pursue my education abroad if I have already stated University?

If you have passed university examinations abroad, you can apply for transfer credit. You have of course to give evidence of your academic career by submitting a legalized certificate attesting exams and relevant scores (transcript of records), and a detailed description of each course (syllabus).you can no longer be registered as a regular student in the foreign university! If you wish to know in advance which exams you can be granted as transfer credit, you may contact a lecturer/coordinator of the program and ask a preliminary and unofficial evaluation.

Do I need to pass an Italian language test?

Yes to do need to pass a language test which should be at least 18 out of 30. The exam is usually an interview on general knowledge, and is aimed at testing the students’ ability to read and understand academic texts, as well as comprehend lectures. For help on this always check the International student section.

Where can i attend a language course?

There are many students that offer language courses for a decent price before looking for professionals. Check out the notifications on the boards along the campus. Or else the Centro linguistica is always a top choice. If you are in time the Ateneo organizes free language courses that are very useful.

Are you entitled to get free Healthcare?

As a EU citizen you can access free medical treatment provided by the National Health Service. If you hold a European Health Insurance card – through a general practitioner (family doctor) or a public hospital. As a non-EU citizen, when applying for the study visa before leaving your country, you have to provide evidence of your capability to cover all your possible expenses related to medical assistance, for instance by subscribing a health insurance policy with an Italian body or company such as the Istituto Nazionale delle Assicurazioni (I.N.A.). To apply for voluntary registration with the National Health System students must pay a sum of about € 150 on a yearly basis.

Please note:If you come from a NON-EU country and you live outside Italy, you must first submit an application at the Italian Embassy or Consulate in your country of origin or residence – for just one degree program – by the deadline set every year by each Consulate. If your application is accepted, the Consulate will issue a visa on your passport. After passing the test/s (see faq no. 9), you can apply online for enrollment. If you live in Italy and hold a regular permit of stay you just have to submit your application to the International Student Office, after completing it online.